1. Markup languages consists of sets of directions that tell the browser software how to display and manage a web document. The directions are called "tags" and perform functions such as displaying graphics, formatting text, and referencing hyper links. Tim Berners created HTML in 1991 and developed HTML using Standard Generalized Markup Language(SGML),which prescribes a standard format for embedding descriptive markup with a document and describing the structure of a document. HTML is a set of markup symbols and codes placed in a file that is intended for display on a web page. The markup symbols and codes identify structural elements such as paragraphs, headings, and lists. HTML can also be used to place media on a web page and describe fill-in forms. Each individual markup code is referred to as an element or tag. Following HTML, there is an XML(eXtensive markup language) which is developed by the W3C to create common information formats and share the format and information on the web. In addition, there is an XHTML(eXtensive Hypertext Markup Language) which is the most recent standardized version of HTML. HTML5 is also another markup language that is a replacement to XHTML and incorporates features of both HTML and XHTML.
2. There is no special software needed to create or test a web page. The text editor may be useful when typing a web page because it underlines or points out any errors you may have made or need to correct in order for the web page to be accurate and complete.
3. The purpose of the head section on a web page is to contain information that describes the web page document. The purpose of the body page is to contain the actual tags, texts, images, and other objects displayed by the browser as a web page. In addition, the body section configures the contents of the web page.
1. There are six levels organized in heading elements,which are h1-h6. The font size for h1 is the largest and the smallest is h6. The type of font depends on the size of the font, especially h4,h5,and h6 which appear smaller than the default text size.
2. The difference between an unordered and unordered list is that an ordered list displays a numbering or lettering system to itemize the information contained in the list. An ordered list can be organized by the use of numbers,upper-case, and lower case letter and Roman numerals. An unordered list displays a bullet or list marker before each entry in the list.
3. The purpose of the block quote element is to display a block of quoted text in a special way-indented from left and right margins. The block quote is semantically used to display large blocks of quoted text within a web page.
1. The purpose of special characters is to use special symbols such as quotation marks, less than or greater than signs, and the copyright symbol(©)in your web page document.
2. You use absolute hyperlinks when you need to link to resources on other websites. Yes, the http protocol and domain name are used in the href value.
3. You use a relative hyperlink when you need to link to web pages within your site. No, the http protocol or domain name is not used in the href value.
b. The tutorial is geared toward both levels because I am a beginner and the tutorial provides information and examples on how to create a web page in a way that helped me understand well. The tutorial is also geared toward intermediate level as well by providing more information on creating wed pages and other special codes and elements that may be useful.
c. Yes, I would recommend this site to others because it is very helpful especially if you don't have any clue about creating a web page. It gives examples on creating a web page and important tags and elements that are required or helpful in the web page.
d. A concept that I've learned from this tutorial is the different elements and how to tag and abbreviate them when including them into a web page document.