Throughout my educational career, I have taken on many projects. This page serves as repository for my projects, this page in itself being one of them. I believe that project based learning has caused me to master many skills and I would like to share my experiences with you.
FNP Practicum Tracker
During the summer of 2015, I worked for Graceland University School of Nursing (GU-SON). Lisa Winch, contract coordinator at GU-SON, hired me as an office assistant and database developer. During my month and a half stay, I learned how Lisa did her job and worked with her to develop a better system for paperwork tracking and data storage. This was my first time working with a database and using the visual basic programming language.
Click Here to learn more!
GTG Buisness Solution
During the 2016 Spring Semester, I partnered with Joshua Hill to create the Game Time Graphics Business solution. We used our skills from our Advanced Java and Database and SQL classes to create a dynamic and easy to use database and interface that would replace the paper systems currently in use at Game Time Graphics.
Click Here to learn more!
During my Advanced Java course, we were challenged to create the game “Lights Out” using a GUI interface. After completing the basic program, I decided to take it a step further and create dynamic sizing of the game. After a couple iterations, I produced the game with full GUI and uploaded the game to GitHub.
Click Here to learn more!
Family Nurse Practitioner Tracker
Graceland University School of Nursing
Graceland University School of Nursing Contract Coordanator, Lisa Winch, needed a way to store information about many students in an easy to access computer program. The data included student information, clinical site information, perceptor (doctor studied under) information and paperwork status information.
The current management system was an Excel Spreadsheet and a LOT of file folders.
The files were devided up into students and site contracts. All preceptor information was stored with the student's file.
The spreadsheet had lines for each of the student's practicum "experiences". One line for every diffrent combonation of site and preceptor. Current status of paperwork and other requirements were kept in columns marked with an "X" or other marker.
The database needed to track many sets of information and be able to link them together. A relational database was created to contain students, preceptors, and clinical sites. Relational tables were used to link all of this information together. The data also needed to be easy to access so search bars were added to make sifting through data easier. Sometimes, data would need to be exported to be used with mail merge or for administrative purposes. To resolve this, an export option was added to save requested data as an excel sheet. This sheet could be customized by year and/or class type.
What was learned
Microsoft Access software, Database creation, User interface creation and time management skills.
Game Time Graphics Business Solution
Josh Hill and Taylor Scafe
This small t-shirt printing company had an issue with controlling information. Current methods were easy to mess up, required manual calculation and had the chance of getting lost. Paper orders were created in triplicate and passed to several departments. Inventory was managed by writing the number of T-shirts available on the side of the box holding them. This system was out of date and not efficient.
Data was the issue and a database was the solution. The database allows for inventory and order information to be stored in a single location and be accessed by many people. Workstations were created to do specific tasks.
The inventory workstation allows for information on incoming and outgoing raw materials and finished materials to be stored and edited. Using available touch screen controls or keyboard and mouse, workers can easily manipulate inventory data without losing time and even saving time in the long run.
The order system would include several computers. Several for entering in information about new orders and one workstation on the factory floor to check off completed orders. The data flow will allow production to know about new orders in real time and allow sales to know when products are being completed. This system would also remove some manual calculations such as subtotals and final costs. The system would also send alerts if more raw material is needed allowing for lag time due to shipping to be reduced.
This project is still a work in progress. The database is complete and we are now designing a better user interface. We started with the Java swing package but realized that it did not provide the needed customizability that we required. We are now using a web based approach as it is easier to customize and works on all platforms.
Scholar Showcase Poster
Advanced Java Class
Create an interactive lights out game. The game must follow all Lights Out rules and declare when the user has won.
The game consists of a 5 by 5 grid of lights. When the game starts, a random number or a stored pattern of these lights is switched on. Pressing any of the lights will toggle it and the four adjacent lights. The goal of the puzzle is to switch all the lights off, preferably in as few button presses as possible.
The traditional rules specify a 5x5 grid but larger and smaller grids are possable. I created the game with options for alternative sizes that only produces solvable grids. The game startes by prompting for width and height dimentions that must be greater than 0.