Time banking is based on the belief that our communities work better when all of our contributions are valued. It rejects the notion that we belong in separate classes of givers and receivers and establishes a way to reward all types of work - caring for children, elders, and others who need it, building community, taking care of the planet, and helping out neighbors. Time banks have changed whole communities where they have been established.
timeBanking/Lamoni promotes the exchange of services between people in a community without the use of money - instead, time is traded.
Here is a list of examples of the kinds of services that timeBanking/Lamoni members can exchange:
- Help at Home: Child Care, Cooking & Sewing, Hair & Beauty, Housekeeping/Chores, Pet Care, Respite Care
- Miscellaneous Community Activities: Clean Up/Recycling, Community Service, Fundraising, Special Projects, Work for Social Change
- Wellness: Complementary Therapies, Counseling, Diet & Nutrition, Fitness & Exercise, Medical Services, Yoga/MeditationArts, Crafts, & Music: Classes, Crafts, Entertainment, Lessons, Photo & Video, Theater
- Home Repair: Car Care, Carpentry/Construction, Electrical, Garden & Yard Work, Painting, Plumbing
- Transportation: Errands, Local, Long Distance, Medical, Train/Bus/Airport, Worship, Miscellaneous
- Companionship: Clubs, Dining Out, Email/IM, Home Visits, Medical Errands, Telephone Calls
- Recreation: Books & Videos, Dancing, Events, Games, Sports, Travel
- Education: Advocacy, Classes/Workshops, Computers/Technology, Languages/Translation, Personal Finances, Tutoring/Mentoring
- Business Services: Clerical, Computer Support, Financial, Marketing, Research, Odd Jobs
timeBanking/Lamoni focuses on bringing people together in a community with different skills to benefit from each other.
As a result, members feel empowered by helping others and learning new skills.
timeBanking/Lamoni can bring out the best in people to establish a community of people who support each other - a true community of caring.